VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS POST 3646
Meeting: February 22, 2007
Opening Prayer by Acting Chaplain George Peacock
Pledge of Allegiance
Meeting opened by Commander Dale Smith at 1900 hrs
Attendance: 16 members
Roll Call of Officers: Senior Vice Gary Ellis excused. Junior Vice Bill
Reed excused. Chaplin Raul Reyes excused.
Minutes of last meeting:
Cmdr Smith directed that the minutes of the previous meeting (January
25,2007) be amended to reflect that our post was buying the back page
at a price of $150.00. Comrade Aaron DiCello made a motion to accept
the minutes of the 25 January 2007 meeting as amended. 2nd by Comrade
Chuck Printz. Approved
Beginning balance 6957.17
Current balance: 3438.92
There is 329.50 in the relief fund and 379.61 dues reserve for a total
of 709.11 committed to reserve, leaving 2729.81 in uncommitted funds.
Comrade Carlos Stinnett made a motion that the quartermaster report be
accepted as read pending the trustee audit. 2nd by Comrade Daryl Keck.
- Approved (An explanation was provided that the above expenditures
included the $3000.00 that was put into a Certificate of Deposit as
approved at the last meeting.)
1. Cmdr Smith explained that the Mountain Home American Legion Post 22,
who normally sponsors kids in the Girl’s
State/Boy’s State Program, was going to sponsor two of the
four girls from Glenns Ferry. They requested that our VFW post consider
sponsoring the other two girls from Glenns Ferry, due to the fact that
there is no active American Legion Post here. The total cost would be
$450.00. Comrade Chuck Printz made a motion to sponsor two girls in the
Girl’s State Program. 2nd by Comrade Aaron DiCello. Approved
2. Comrade Henry Hibbert, who couldn’t make it tonight, asked
Cmdr Smith to bring up a suggestion that the post form a 6-8 member
rifle detail, who would each be assigned responsibility for a rifle for
cleaning and maintenance. He also suggested that the squad would
practice once a month for duty as an Honor Detail. The floor was opened
for discussion, and many points of view were presented. The consensus
was that the discussion could be tabled, as the majority felt that
anyone and everyone who was interested would present there name to the
adjutant. Then all volunteers would be informed of a date to clean and
become familiar with our rifles, and all would be given the opportunity
to practice. It was decided that because there was no expenditure of
funds involved, that a motion was not necessary; and the item would be
considered an open action.
Comrades in Distress:
1. Comrade Erv Hoagland was having some concerns, but no details were
2. Comrade Bruce McGaw has cancer of the stomach, gall bladder and
pancreas. The prognosis is no good.
3. Comrade Gary Ellis is still fighting his leukemia and has been put
on a new treatment.
4. Comrade Bob Randall’s wife, Susan, is also fighting
cancer, and is waiting for more test results.
Good of the Order
1. Cmdr Smith nominated Comrade George Peacock as the Safety Person of
the Year. 2nd by Comrade Quartermaster Don Holloway. Approved
2. Quartermaster Holloway made a motion to not approve any funds as a
donation for the National VFW Military Assistance Program. 2nd by
Comrade Bob Randall. Approved
3. The next District 6 meeting will be on Sunday 25 February 2007 in
Gooding at 1300 hours.
4. The next Red Cross Blood drive is March 14th here at the hall.
5. There will be a Casino Night here on 31 March 2007, to raise money
for the (Glenns Ferry) Pilot Booster Association. Several members
brought up that previous Casino Nights have been fun functions to
attend, and that they were for a worthy cause.
6. Cmdr Smith recognized Comrade Larson, Comrade Reed, and Comrade
Holloway for going with him to participate in a project in Boise at the
VFW State HQ building.
National Home Remembered by Acting Chaplain Peacock
Closing prayer by Acting Chaplain Peacock
Meeting closed by Commander Smith - 1930 hours
The next regular VFW meeting will be 15 March 2007 at 1900 hours
Submitted by Gary Nelson, VFW Post 3646 Adjutant