of 1999, 2002 and 2005
National Outstanding Community Service Awards
VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS POST 3646
Meeting: September 21, 2006 - 1907 hours
Opening Prayer by Chaplain Reyes
Meeting opened by Commander Dale Smith
Attendance: 26 members, 1 visitor - District 6 Commander Harvey Pilant
Mustering in of recruits: Cmdr Smith swore in new member Stanley Branch
Minutes of last meeting: Senior Vice Gary Ellis made a motion to accept the minutes of the 15 Jun 2006 meeting as published. 2nd by Comrade Darrell Main. - Approved
Roll call of officers: all present
Service Officer report:
Report of Comrades in Distress:
2. Following Cmdr Smith’s explanation of what our post had previously donated in support of Operation Uplink, Comrade Wilhite made a motion to increase our support to a total of $200.00. 2nd by Comrade K.C Duerig. - Approved
3. Cmdr Smith reported on our previous support to the Political Action Committee (PAC) of Idaho. A motion was made by Comrade Main to donate $100.00 to the PAC. 2nd by Comrade Robert Randall. - Approved
4. Cmdr Smith briefed that Bud Boone had donated $3000.00 to the post as a part of his estate. Although no money has yet been received, Cmdr Smith requested that the membership think of possibilities for a permanent Bud Boone Voice of Democracy award, or something of that nature. The money will belong to the post and has not been earmarked. So think about possibilities for a way to remember Bud Boone.
4. Cmdr Smith also reported that there will a retirement day at MHAFB, on 29 September. Carl Olson is running it, and has asked for a VFW table. The health fair portion begins at 10:00 AM, then after lunch , at 1:00 PM, the base briefs what the base support for new retirees from the Air Force. Senior Vice Gary Ellis will be there to answer VFW questions.
5. Cmdr Smith’s reiterated what he put out in the newsletter: at the National Convention, there was a vote to raise life and continuous dues for VFW membership. Effective 1 January 2007, continuous dues are going up $3.00 per year and that life membership would be as follows:
Age Old Rate New Rat
6. Cmdr Smith briefed that our post would be putting on a Veterans Day Program at the school on 10 November. The Vice Wing Commander from MHAFB will be the guest speaker, then we will have some of the students speak. Cmdr Smith also relayed that he had been approached by several people to put on a program on 11 Nov at the cemetery. The Cmdr thought that basically it should have at least a prayer, a few words from a guest speaker, then finish it up with taps. Think about it, and share your ideas. We also will be having a dinner for all Veterans and their spouses, the evening of 11 November.
It was discussed and agreed that the VFW would give out Buddy Poppies at Wal-Mart, Albertson’s, and Paul’s, pending approval from the store managers, on 10 November. Senior Vice Ellis will contact Wal- Mart. Comrade Dicello will contact Albertsons. Comrade Goins will contact Paul’s. Quartermaster Holloway stated that if we were going to give away poppies, the post would need to purchase another 3000 poppies. Comrade Dillon made a motion to purchase 3000 Buddy Poppies. 2nd by Comrade Randall. - Approved
National Home Remembered by Chaplain Reyes
Good of the Order
2. Senior Vice Ellis also stated although he hasn’t seen this problem in our district, over the year many posts have not had any representation at the State conventions to elect the new line officers. So if you meet someone from another post in you travels, please re-iterate how important it is to have representation at the conventions.
3. Senior Vice Ellis also stated that it was the Dept of Idaho VFW’s 75th anniversary, and that a special hat and commemorative coin were available in limited supply for $5.00 each. Order from Comrade QM Don Holloway.
4. The next District 6 meeting will be 15 October in Twin Falls (at VFW Post 2136).
Closing prayer by Chaplain Reyes
Submitted by Gary Nelson, VFW Post 3646 Adjutant
|Website Designed and Maintained by K.C. Duerig
Send comments or questions to the Webmaster
Copyright © 2006 VFW Post 3646,Glenns Ferry, ID. All Rights Reserved.